“Treecycle” your holiday tree curbside or at area recycling centers
When the holidays are over, and it’s time for natural holiday trees, wreaths and garlands to come down, give them a second life by recycling. Visit www.RecycleSpot.org or call 816-474-8326 for a list of locations throughout the metro area that will recycle your trees and greenery. Most services are free.
Like other yard waste materials, holiday trees and greenery are banned from landfills in Missouri, and Kansas landfills discourage them. Area communities offer residents a number of ways to recycle natural decorations that not only keep these materials out of landfills, but also put them to good use for a variety of purposes, including trail surfaces, erosion control, landscaping, and fish habitat in local lakes.
“All residents in the Kansas City metro area can recycle their natural holiday trees and greenery, either at a drop-off location or through curbside pickup if their community offers that service,” says Matt Riggs, outreach coordinator for the MARC Solid Waste Management District. “Many of the drop-off locations are open for up to a month after the holidays, so there are plenty of opportunities to recycle your holiday tree and greenery.”
See below for detailed listing of tree recycling services in the Kansas City region. The list is also available online at www.RecycleSpot.org.
Following is a list of holiday tree and greenery recycling services in the metro area. If your community is not listed, contact your city hall or trash hauler to find out what services are available.
Before placing trees and greenery at the curb, check with your trash hauler to find out if they offer curbside service and if there is a fee. Other area pickup services include:
- Compost Connection Inc. — 816-761-8300.
- Lawn-Corps Curbside Recycling — 816-761-3046, Missouri residents only.
- Leavenworth — 913-682-0650, Leavenworth residents only.
- Lenexa — 913-982-3900, www.troop136.org, Lenexa residents only.
- Merriam — 913-322-5570, Merriam residents only.
- Nature’s Rubbish — 816-444-4050; Missouri residents only.
- North Kansas City — 816-274-6004, North Kansas City residents only.
- Olathe — 913-971-9311, Olathe residents only.
- Sugar Creek — 816-252-4413, Sugar Creek residents only.
- Archie — Yard waste collection site, 401 S. Main, Archie, Missouri, 816-293-5601, Archie residents only.
- Belton — Lawn-Corps Curbside Recycling, 2016 E. 171st St., Belton, Missouri, 816-761-3046.
- Blue Springs — Pink Hill Park, 2715 NW Park Road, Blue Springs, Missouri, 816-228-0137.
- Bonner Springs — North Park, 1200 S. 134th St., Bonner Springs, Kansas, 913-422-7010.
- Buckner — Yard waste drop-off site, 2500 O’Donnell Road, Buckner, Missouri, 816-650-31 91, Buckner residents only.
- Edgerton, Kansas — Yard waste collection site, 710 E. Nelson, Edgerton, Kansas, 913-893-6231.
- Excelsior Springs — Recycling center, 1290 S. Marietta St., Excelsior Springs, Missouri, 816-630-0755.
- Freeman — Yard waste collection site, 105 E. Main, Freeman, Missouri, 816-250-2902.
- Gladstone — Regional Brush & Yard Waste Recycle Facility, 4000 NE 76th St., Gladstone, Missouri, 816-436-5442.
- Harrisonville — Town & Country Disposal, 22820 S. Highway 291, Harrisonville, Missouri, 64701, 816-380-5595.
- Kansas City, Kan. — Alvey Park, 4834 Metropolitan Ave., Kansas City, Kansas, 913-573-8327.
- Kansas City, Kan. — City Park, 2601 Park Drive, Kansas City, Kansas, 913-573-8327.
- Kansas City, Kan. — Planet Marrs, 2701 Roe Lane, Kansas City, Kansas, 913-888-0539.
- Kansas City, Kan. — Stony Point Park, 531 N. 86th St., Kansas City, Kansas, 913-573-8327.
- Wyandotte County Park — 600 N. 126th St., Bonner Springs, Kansas, 913-573-8327.
- Kansas City, Missouri (North) — Leaf and Brush Drop-Off Site, 11660 N. Main St., Kansas City, Missouri,816-513-1313.
- Kansas City, Missouri (East Bottoms) — Leaf and Brush Drop-Off Site, 1815 N. Chouteau Trafficway., Kansas City, Missouri, 816-513-1313.
- Kansas City, Missouri (Southeast) — Leaf and Brush Drop-Off Site, 10301 Raytown Road, Kansas City, Missouri, 816-513-1313.
- Kansas City, Missouri (East) — Missouri Organic Recycling, Inc., 7700 E. U.S. Highway 40, Kansas City, Missouri, 816-483-0908.
- Kansas City, Missouri (South) — Suburban Lawn and Garden Yard Waste Recycling Center, 139th andWyandotte, Kansas City, Missouri, 816-941-2438.
- Kearney — Recycling center, 504 E. 19th St., Kearney, Missouri, 816-628-4142.
- Lake Lotawana Homes Association — Brush and yard waste drop off site, 816-578-4272, Lake Lotawana residents only.
- Lawson — Yard waste collection site, 102 Kessler Drive, Lawson, Missouri, 816-580-3217.
- Leavenworth — Transfer Station, 24967 136th St., Lansing, Kansas, 913-727-2858.
- Leavenworth — Municipal Brush Site, 1803 S. 2nd St., Leavenworth, Kansas, 913-682-0650, Leavenworthresidents only.
- Leawood — Leawood City Park, 10601 Lee Blvd., Leawood, Kansas, 913-339-6700.
- Leawood — Ironwoods Park, 14701 Mission Road, Leawood, Kansas, 913-339-6700.
- Leawood — Tomahawk Park, 3999 W. 119th St., Leawood, Kansas, 913-339-6700.
- Lee’s Summit — Resource Recovery Park, 2101 SE Hamblen Rd., Lee’s Summit, Missouri, 816-969-1800.
- Lenexa — Little Mill Creek Park North, 7900 Cottonwood, Lenexa, Kansas, 913-477-7100.
- Liberty — Bennett Park, 1100 Clayview Drive, Liberty, Missouri, 816-439-4415.
- Liberty — City Park, 970 S. Highway 291, Liberty, Missouri, 816-439-4415.
- Miami County Recycling Center — 23765 W. 327th St., Paola, Kansas, 913-294-2674.
- Olathe — Kill Creek Park, 11670 Homestead Lane, Olathe, Kansas, 913-888-4713.
- Olathe — Heritage Park, 16050 Pflumm Road, Olathe, Kansas, 913-888-4713.
- Olathe — Yard waste collection facility, 127th St. and Hedge Lane, Olathe, Kansas, 913-971-9311, Olathe residents only.
- Orrick — Yard waste collection facility, 34849 State Highway Z (Floyd St.), Orrick, Missouri, 816-770-3607,Orrick residents only.
- Overland Park — Arboretum & Botanical Gardens, 8909 W. 179th St., Overland Park, Kansas, 913-895-6273.
- Overland Park — Youngs Park, 7701 Antioch, Overland Park, Kansas, 913-895-6273.
- Overland Park — Quivira Park, 11901 Quivira, Overland Park, Kansas, 913-895-6273.
- Overland Park — Indian Creek Recreation Center, 10308 Marty, Overland Park, Kansas, 913-895-6273.
- Paola — Wallace Park, 5 Wallace Park Drive, Paola, Kansas, 913-259-3620.
- Platte City — Yard waste drop-off site, 500 W. Mill St., Platte City, Missouri, 816-858-3046, Platte City residents only.
- Prairie Village — Franklin Park, 4798 W. 88th St., Prairie Village, Kansas, 913-381-6464, Dec. 23–Jan. 11.
- Prairie Village — Porter Park, 4601 Tomahawk, Prairie Village, Kansas, 913-381-6464.
- Prairie Village — Taliaferro Park, 2900 W. 79th St. Prairie Village, Kansas, 913-381-6464.
- Richmond — City hall parking lot, 205 Summit St., Richmond, Missouri, 816-776-5304.
- Roeland Park — 48th Street and Roe Boulevard, Roeland Park, Kansas, 913-722-5435.
- Shawnee — Deffenbaugh Customer Convenience Center, 17955 Holiday Drive, Shawnee, Kansas, 913-631-8181.
- Shawnee — Shawnee Mission Park, 7900 Renner Road, Shawnee, Kansas, 913-888-4713.
- Smithville — Little Platte Park, Smithville Lake, 16311 Highway DD, Smithville, Missouri, 816-407-3400.
- Sugar Creek – Courtney Ridge Recycling Center, 1701 N. Highway 291, Sugar Creek, Missouri, 816-257-2185.
- Weatherby Lake — 7200 NW Eastside Drive, Weatherby Lake, Missouri 816-529-3502, Venita Access Area (corner of Potomac & Pleasant Ford streets), Weatherby Lake residents only.
- Weston — City of Weston Recycling Center, 725 Market St., Weston, Missouri, 816-640-2752.