Liberty, Mo. – August 10, 2015 – The Community Health in Action (CHIA) awards committee is accepting award nominations for individuals and businesses that are working towards creating a healthier community.
New and on-going partnerships are vital to assure conditions exist where people can be healthy. We constantly hear of individuals, groups and organizations who are trying to help others in improving the health of our county and thus, the Community Health in Action award is meant to honor those who are working to improve overall health and create positive outcomes.
Categories for the Community Health in Action Awards include:
- Health Policy – Related to policy change, such as ordinances, laws, regulations or policies in support of:
- Tobacco prevention
- Healthy living includes quality nutrition and/or physical activity
- Behavioral health includes substance abuse, depression, suicide, assault, etc.
- Community Wellness Initiatives (CWI) – Related to activities, services, or programs resulting in improved health outcomes or healthier lifestyles that address prevention or reduction on the impact of chronic diseases, behavioral health or unhealthy living.
- Individual Community Health Champion – Someone whose life is dedicated to improving health as demonstrated in both action and deed through volunteer work, promoting health or leadership.
Criteria for nomination of champions:
- Nominations must come from a steering committee organization.
- Must work or live in Clay County Missouri.
- Must be actively working on an initiative that addresses population based healthy living, tobacco prevention, behavioral health or who is a leader in policy/rule/law changes that impacts health.
- Must be addressing improved health outcomes, policy change or health cost savings related to chronic disease or risk factors associated with chronic diseases, behavioral health or healthy living.
Member organizations include the Clay County Public Health Center, Excelsior Springs Hospital, Liberty Hospital, North Kansas City Hospital, Saint Luke’s North Hospital and Tri-County Mental Health.
An awards luncheon for the nominees and member agencies will be held October 7, 2015 at Metropolitan Community College – Maple Woods to publicly acknowledge these champions and their activities.
Requests for nomination forms and submissions can be sent to [email protected]. When making a nomination, please be sure to include the name of the affiliated member organization.